Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hymns & Eisley

I'm not going to lie. I love hymns. Billy usually rolls his eyes when I say this. But I just can't help it. I love them. They just say so much. The theology is rich. And usually, they take me back to my childhood, and singing the hymns as a little girl.

So...it has given me great delight that Eisley is a musical child. I often find her singing, dancing, or humming to herself as she plays. For Christmas, we got her a collection of 3 CDs-- it contains classic kids Bible songs and an assortment of hymns. She ADORES this collection of music. It's all she wants to listen to.  We enjoy listening to the songs together, and she doesn't just like the kids songs-- she  really likes the hymns, too!

A couple of weeks ago, my favorite hymn, "And Can It Be" came on, and she declared, "This is one of my favorite songs, Mom!" This morning I heard her singing to herself, "Crown him with many crowns! The lamb upon his throne!"

It made me happy. It made me happy for lots of reasons. But mostly because the story of God has found its way into her heart through these songs (My friend Chad wrote a post on one of his blogs about the same thing not too long ago). These hymns are now embedded into her memory, and I suspect she won't forget them.

Another thing that we love in our home is The Jesus Storybook Bible. It's really fantastic, and if you don't have a copy, you should get one. I suppose it's technically a kids Bible, but the stories move me, too.  When we read it together, I am often moved to tears. Gods' story does that to me, and the way Sally Lloyd-Jones tells it is simply beautiful. Plus, the artwork is amazing. Anyway, the other day we were reading from it, and Eisley said, "Oh! That's Zacchaeus! Like from the song about him!! Look at that! That must be Jesus walking by and telling him he's going to his house!"  I liked seeing her making that connection.

2 comments:

Sara said...

that is so awesome! i hope i'm a Mom like you when Stephen is that age...i want him to love hymns and God's story too :)

Becca Barnes said...

Lovely. Thanks for sharing it with us.