Friday, November 12, 2010

The day after tomorrow: Toddlers!

The race is the day after tomorrow!

I have thought all along, but this week I know it for sure, that training for a half marathon when you're a stay-at-home mom to a busy toddler is CRAZY. It's been challenging at times.

In the beginning, I was training in Kentucky, while I was still working and going to school, so the only time I could run was in the evenings. That meant missing Eisley's bedtime, or rushing out the door after dinner, to squeeze in a run and get back before she went to bed.  Now that we're in Texas and I'm not working, I'm not having to miss as much family time to go run, as my friend Barbara usually keeps Eisley in the mornings while I go running.  But none of this is the crazy part.

She's SO busy. If you've ever met my child, you know this is true. When she's awake , she's moving. The child is perpetual motion. Always into something, always exploring, always talking... at the end of the day, I'm exhausted. In the mornings, I'm often exhausted. And running often seems like the last thing I want to do.  Oh yes-- I very much enjoy the "me" time I get when I go out for a run-- but sometimes I lack the energy! Truthfully, I think all of these things are wonderful-- I love that she's so curious and smart and full of life.

But this week. The one week I need my sleep to actually count, as I approach race day, my child has seemed to test my every limit. She's been extra energetic. Extra defiant. On Monday she skipped her nap. And for some reason, at night, she's had some trouble sleeping-- which means we have, too.

I have hope, though. Last night was a good night of rest for all of us (though, we had to leave our house at 9 p.m. when we were trying to go to bed because our storage unit had been broken into and we had to go file a police report).  But besides dealing with that, and going to bed an hour later than we had planned, this morning I am feeling more rested.

Join me in praying for a good night's sleep tonight, won't you?

No comments: