Monday, October 11, 2010

7th Heaven (Do You Believe in Magic?)

As the number of days until my half marathon gets smaller, the number of miles I am running gets larger. On Saturday I ran 7 miles. And I had a blast.

On Saturday, we were in the Dallas area visiting Billy's family, so I decided to drive up to McKinney on Saturday morning to run with my cousin Jessica and her Team in Training group. I knew that there was no way I could run 7 miles on my own. Well, maybe I could have, but it was a terrifying amount of miles to run, since I have not ever run that far before.

I went to bed at 8:30 the night before, and I was up at 5 a.m. on Saturday. I met Jessica at 6:30, and after a few group announcements, a woman named Tammy shared the story of her battle with cancer, and why she runs with Team in Training. Her story was truly inspiring, and really set the whole tone for the run. The Team in Training folks aren't just running to do something for themselves. They run to save lives. They do it one pledge, one donation, and one mile at a time.

Since Jessica was running a half marathon the following day, she ran just the first 4 miles with me before she stopped, and I ran the last 3 by myself. My last 3 miles were definitely my slowest.  I really enjoyed running with Jessica, and with her friend Serene. We actually had things to talk about, and the time flew by. Before I realized it, we had completed 4 miles, and it wasn't until the very end of those 4 miles that I realized I was starting to hurt. Now, I know that for Jessica, those were a very slow 4 miles. She was taking it easy on Saturday because of Sunday's race. But for me, those 4 miles were actually quite a bit faster than I normally run when I'm by myself. And because I was enjoying the company and conversation, I hadn't even realized we were running at a slightly faster pace than I am used to running. It was a good feeling.

At the end of those 4 miles, I was starting to hurt, and the mind games started. I wanted to quit, and I probably could have thought of at least 20 excuses to talk myself into actually quitting. But I forged ahead, and not long after, something magical happened. The e-gel I had taken just a few minutes earlier, kicked in. And it worked. No more complaining. No more mind games. I just ran, and I felt good while doing it. Before I knew it, those last 3 miles were done, and I felt as though I had really accomplished something! What is e-gel? I'm glad you asked!

I had read about e-gel on Jessica's blog a couple of weeks ago, and to be honest, I wasn't sure I would ever try it.  Not because I don't trust Jessica's opinion; I just doubted that it could really be that different than Gu. In my (limited) experience so far, all of the energy gels produce about the same result for me. But last weekend when I went to Fort Worth for my 5K, I stopped in at the Fort Worth Running Company, and spotted e-gel on the shelf there. I bought one packet just to try, and from there would decide whether or not to buy more. I am here to tell you, that I will never buy another packet of Gu, or any of the other energy gels. This stuff works. And it works well.

Rather than repeat the very things Jessica has already written on her blog, I have included an excerpt from her blog below.  I am in complete agreement with her assessment of the product.  And as Eisley's friend Plex would say, "Try it! You'll like it!" I have included a link with my referral code below, should you decide to give it a whirl.   Without further ado, here's what Jessica has to say about it:


GU vs. E-Gel

Taste: Don't gag. I know GU is an acquired taste. Maybe not acquired. Maybe it's just something you learn to live with. I hate to say it but E-Gel is the same. Not better. Probably even a little worse. There are only 4 flavors available and of those 4, Vanilla Strawberry and Cherry Bomb made me gag the least. So those are my favorite.

Energy: I have been taking it for about a week now and I can honestly say I see a significant difference in my energy level. I was a little worried because E-Gel does not contain any caffeine but it hasn't seemed to matter. I am running stronger and faster than ever. And the no caffeine means I can take it in the evenings and not worry about being up all night.

Size: It's quiet a bit bigger than GU. I can't take the entire thing in one swallow which makes it more difficult to deal with while running. (Score one for GU)

Substance: E-Gel has everything you need and them some. See below.
MarathonPR - If you use e-Gel in your marathon training and on race day, Crank Sports will guarantee that you'll run a personal record (PR) time. Check out the website for details.

If you order online, use my referral code 387752 and I get free product. Once you order, you will get a referral code for free product also. When I ordered under Jessica's referral code, not only did she get points, but because I was a referral, I got points as well-- enough points, in fact, to make my shipping cost $0.

You can also click here to order. My referral code is already there.


Thank you so much, Jessica, for the great tip! I am forever grateful!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

YAAAAY! I had such a great time Saturday morning. We will most definitely have to do that again SOON.

And E-Gel - oh the wonderful and powerful E-Gel! It is magic! ;)