Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Victory

A few months ago I posted that I was running again, and that I had registered for the San Antonio Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon on November 14.It was towards the end of May that I started running; I received my new running shoes for Mother's Day.

I remember the first mile that I ran. I remember it, because each and every step hurt. I couldn't actually run the entire distance. One mile. Really? I was so disappointed in myself, the physical condition I was in, and the fact that one mile was so very difficult for me. It took me 13 minutes to run that mile. 13 very painful minutes.  But I kept going.

And though I've been running since May, if you asked me, I wouldn't have called myself a runner. I was running. But I wasn't a runner.  Even if you had asked me yesterday if I was a runner, I would have told you no.


But today, I am a runner. What changed? Today I had the best run of my life. It wasn't fast. But it felt good. For 6 miles, I ran. And every step felt good. I felt like, for the first time, I knew my body well enough to know when to hydrate, to know when to push myself, and to know when to take it easy. And instead of trying to talk myself into quitting when it got hard, I talked myself into keeping at it.  Because I was having fun. And oddly enough, at the end of my six miles, I not only felt like I was on top of the world-- I was disappointed that my run had come to an end.


So go ahead and ask me if I'm a runner.  My answer will be "yes". 

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Isn't it the best feeling? Victory is the perfect way to say it.

Nina said...

I'm glad you're still running strong! Definitely an encouragement to get my act together and continue C25K!