Friday, June 11, 2010

Things I Will Miss About Kentucky #5: Close Proximity

Living where we have, for the past 4 and a half years, we've been fortunate enough to visit several interesting places. I forget that not all states are as big as my beloved Texas, and you have easy access to other states.  Though we didn't take advantage of this nearly as much as we would have liked (especially after Eisley was born and going places took actual planning!), I did get to visit a few fun places:

Cincinnati, OH is about an hour and a half away. I have been to a Reds Game, eaten at the Montgomery Inn, made several trips to the Newport Aquarium, and had other fun outings in Cinci. Here I am with some of the church staff at a Reds game. Yes. The seats were that empty. Yes, the Reds are that bad.


We also made several trips to Louisville. It's also about an hour and a half away. One weekend, I surprised Billy with an overnight getaway in Louisville. We had great food, stayed in a great hotel, and got to roam around Louisville. Downtown Louisville is a lot of fun. So is the Louisville Slugger Museum. I've been three times. I don't even enjoy baseball all that much, but somehow, the Slugger Museum and Factory is a great way to spend an afternoon. Just two weeks ago, we went with some friends to a great concert (The Swell Season) at the Brown Theater in Louisville and it was amazing. Here we are enjoying a pre-dinner feast at the Bluegrass Brewing Company downtown. They had a great patio:


Indianapolis, IN is only about 3 hours away. The second year we were here, Billy took me to Indianapolis to see my Dallas Mavericks play the Indiana Pacers. It was great. And the Mavs won in Double Overtime. :) It is a highlight of our time here.



St. Louis, MO is only about 5 hours away from here. Well. 6 with a baby in-tow. We took one weekend to drive to St. Louis and to meet some friends for a weekend of fun there. Very fun.


I also had the opportunity to go to Charleston, WV which is also about 5 hours away. I went as a chaperone on a youth mission trip and had a blast. We spent most of our time in Charleston working at different work sites-- but I definitely learned a true West Virginia art-- clogging! It was great fun.

Last summer we went to Chicago and stayed with my aunt and uncle for the 4th of July weekend. It was a 7-8 hour drive and it wasn't a bad drive at all. We also got to spend a day with our friends Josh and Candace that weekend. This whole trip is at the top of the highlights list for us. Lots of fun was had, and lots of great conversations were had that helped launch us into important conversations about life post-seminary.


Nashville, TN is just 2 and a half hours away, and it's a place we've made a a couple of trips to. We were able to go one year to cheer on lots of friends and my uncle Tony as they ran the Nashville Country Music Marathon & Half Marathon. I also went and met my mom, stepdad, and sister there one year that they were vacationing there.


There are also plenty of fun places here in Kentucky that we have visited. We have loved it! It's been a great place to live, that has allowed us opportunities to see other not-so-far-away places.  That's not to say that living in Texas we won't have similar opportunities.... Texas itself is filled with MANY interesting places, many of which we have not yet explored. We look forward to doing that when we get there!

No comments: