Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Things I Will Miss About Kentucky #4: Seasons

In Texas, where I grew up, and where I'm headed again soon, Summer lasts pretty much year-round, with the exception of just a few days: Autumn lasts about a week, winter lasts maybe a day, and spring gets sort of lost in the shuffle. That's probably a slight exaggeration. But only slight. In Kentucky, there are actual seasons. Four of them. Each of them distinct. And I couldn't love it more. If I were forced to pick my favorite season, I simply couldn't do it. I've learned to appreciate much about each one of the four seasons; there is great beauty to be found in each one.

Starting around October, the colors of Autumn are none other than breath-taking.  Just look at this. These are the leaves of the ginko trees that stand on the front lawn of the seminary. And every year, their beauty overwhelms me. It would you, too:


When we first moved here (January 2006), I was a little unsure of this thing called Winter. I was convinced I would freeze to death, and was terrified to drive in the snow. But I now think that Kentucky winters are near perfect.  During our time here, we've made friends from places farther north, where winters are far longer and much colder than a Kentucky winter. I would never survive in those places. But in Kentucky, the beauty of winter is remarkable. The black barns and stone fences, rolling hills, and horse farms are impressive things of beauty against the backdrop of a Kentucky snow.  Just when you're growing tired of winter, the snow seems to melt, revealing the colors of Spring. Not only is the snow beautiful, the snow is fun to play in! 




Spring in Kentucky is just lovely. It's the kind of spring you read about in books or see on TV, if you haven't lived in a place that has an actual Spring season.  The weather is comfortable-- not hot, not cold... just right. It is unbelievable how GREEN everything is here. Those once snow-covered rolling hills turn the brightest, richest, and most lush shades of green you could imagine. Baby horses are born, and it's delightful to see them running through the open fields.  Leaves spring up on trees again, flowers are in full bloom, and when the wind blows white or pink blossoms down from the trees on a sunny day, you feel like you're in movie, and that at any moment, a Frank Sinatra tune is about to play.  I love Spring in Kentucky.




Finally, Summer. I'm not going to lie. Kentucky summers are hot. But the heat only lasts for a while, and it seems that at least once a week, there's a rain shower that cools things off a bit.  That makes it much more bearable.  It doesn't start to get (what I would consider) really hot until late June.  July & August are hot-- in the mid-upper 90s (but rarely over 100), and by September things start to cool off again. The thing I've most appreciated about the Kentucky summers is how green everything stays. Even through August-- everything is still green. Amazing!



No comments: