Thursday, June 3, 2010

Things I Will Miss About Kentucky #1: Ale 8

This list is in no particular order. I don't even know how many things will be ON this list. But I'm going for it: Things I Will Miss About Kentucky.

Our time here is pretty limited now. We're headed back to Texas in July, and I am quite sentimental these days. We're having so many lasts: last dinners with friends, last trips to the park, last meetings at church (who besides me would miss something like that?), etc.  I'm living in the tension of being ready to get back to Texas, and ready for this season of transition to be complete, yet not quite being ready to leave Wilmore. It's been our home for 4 and a half years now. We've grown up so much since coming here. We've grown in our marriage, grown our family, and most certainly grown in our love for the Bluegrass State. How do you leave a place you've grown to love so much?

Without further ado, here's the first thing I'll miss:


Ale-8-1, or "A Late One"

This highly-caffeinated, high-sugar, high-quality soft drink is made and bottled in Winchester, KY. To say it is delicious is an understatement. It's a ginger ale-type drink, but has a much sweeter taste than your average ginger ale. It also has a bite to it that I've not experienced in any other beverage. I will miss it.

It is not distributed outside of Kentucky (that I am aware of), so I'm thinking we'll rent TWO moving trucks and fill one of them up with just Ale 8 (kidding). The thing is, I know that about two weeks after we get to Texas, I'll be craving something. And the only thing that will satisfy that craving, is a cold Ale 8. Looks like I'll be out of luck.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Kelly, the last time I was up to KY for graduation, I bought like, 5 6-packs of Ale-8, haha...didn't last me that long, but it helped :) there are SO many things I still miss about being up there!

Anonymous said...

Kelly
When I flew to England in March to visit my son Zach at Oxford, I had to pack 4 long-neck Ale 8's for him. With all the problems with weight etc. in luggage, nobody in the family, including me, ever questioned that of course, I take him some Ale 8!
—Lawson Stone

Jason said...

The quality of Ale-8 is enhanced by the people that I always share it with - especially Team Lawson. Stoked about the Schrutes' future projects and brainstorming over a cold, crisp Ale-8.

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

Ah, yes. That's truth, Jason. Can't wait for collaborative meetings. If we want the Ale 8 to be there, that means we meet in Kentucky. Which is just fine by me!

Kelly said...

Somehow, I have only rarely been without Ale 8 stored under my bed ready to be chilled for my enjoyment over the past 5 years in Alabama. You seriously gotta load some up to go back with you...
Otherwise,... http://ale8one.com/store/shopping_cart.php?sort=2a