Thursday, May 27, 2010

Talking

Eisley has always been very vocal. Well. I say always, as though it's a long time. She's only 21 months old. But. She began talking at an early age, has an extensive vocabulary, and is already stringing some pretty complex sentences together. Well. Complex for her age anyway. Every day, I find it surprising when I hear her speaking in sentences. I guess it's surprising because she's still my little baby, and babies aren't supposed to speak in sentences.

But more than being surprised, I find it fascinating to discover the things she wants to talk about. You just never know what it's going to be. The other day she very seriously told me, "Mommy. My feet are SOOOO pretty."  Yesterday she put a skillet on her head and said, "Oh, I SOOOO silly, Mommy!"

And this morning, she walked up to me and said, "Mommy. Daddy's at work. He's not here." She immediately followed that statement with, "Mommy? You need to poo poo?" No. I did not. But that's a question we often ask her, so I guess she figured everyone gets asked that question.

On the way to school, she told me about blowing bubbles with her daddy last night. She said, "I blow bubbles with Daddy. I blow bubbles tooooo close. Daddy helped me." (The "too close" statement refers to her practically putting the bubble wand in her mouth, instead of near it.)

When we got to the church parking lot, she got out of the car, and pointed to the car next to us. She said, "Mommy, that's Darlene's car." It was Miss Darlene's car. I don't know how she knew that was Darlene's car. We've never pointed that out to her.

I got a call today from our friend Nikki, who is in charge of the church nursery. I got off the phone, and Eisley said, "That's Nikki. Nikki's Lilly's mommy. Lilly's daddy is Jordan." Again. All true statements. And appropriately constructed.

I don't share this information to brag about how smart my kid is. I'm mostly just in awe of her and the One that created her. And I am thankful. I am thankful for my little girl who is now becoming a friend that I can talk to and have actual two-way conversations with. I look forward to many more in the coming years.

1 comment:

Neener said...

That picture is awesome! And so is Eisley. :-)