Friday, May 14, 2010

Another Important Class

I did not forget about the series I was in the midst of a few weeks ago-- the one where I'm sharing about some of my favorite/top seminary classes. I didn't forget- the semester is quickly coming to an end, and the demands of it have ramped up a bit since then.

I can say with certainty, that I would not be who I am today without having taken Lester Ruth's History of Christian Worship class. I just took it this semester, but it has profoundly shaped me and my understanding of right worship.

This class was fun. The readings were excellent. Dr. Ruth was fantastic. And I learned. I learned why good worship matters for good theology. And vice versa. I learned the importance of Trinitarian worship and what that even means. I grew in my awe of, love for, understanding of, and appreciation for God the Father, Son, and Spirit, and how they all work together in their distinct roles. I became aware of how I often sideline one or two persons of the Trinity and show favoritism for one over the others, and how this has in some ways negatively affected the way I view God. I walk away with a new understanding of the role of the minister and musician and everyone else who participates in worship leading.  I walk away with a profound awareness of why everything we do in worship matters-- not at all for me and and what I get out of it. But for a right orientation of worship- to the Father, through the Son, and in the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: