Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I almost forgot.

I know I technically ended my food-related posts several days ago. BUT. I completely forgot one of the most important recipes of all. The one that made me really believe that eating vegetarian could be a really delicious way of life. Billy had been trying to convince me that eating more vegetables and less meat was a good and healthy choice-- but I was a little hesitant. And then I tried this, and thought, "Oh. This is amazing. It's so simple. But delicious. And filling, too."

So here ya go. Enjoy! This recipe is from the June 2007 issue of Everyday Food.

Pasta with Roasted Summer Vegetables and Basil



Ingredients

* 4-5 yellow summer squash, sliced 1 inch thick crosswise, halved if large
* 2 pints grape tomatoes (about 4 cups)
* 2 medium red onions, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
* 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 8 ounces short pasta, such as campanelle or fusilli (I like campanelle the best!)
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
* 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide squash, tomatoes, onions, and garlic between two large rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast without tossing until tender and starting to brown, 30 to 40 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, and return to pot.

3. Add vegetables, butter, Parmesan, and basil to pasta; season with salt and pepper, and toss gently to combine.

2 comments:

Erin Crisp said...

Eating this right now and it is yummmmmmy! Thanks!

Kelly said...

I had saved this recipe, and I had it the other day! Delicious! Thank you for posting!