Thursday, February 25, 2010

Time Out

We're not spankers when it comes to disciplining Eisley. We generally try not to yell, either. We use firmly spoken "No"s, and we use Time Out. We have a Time Out "corner" in the living room of the house. From the corner, no toys are within reach, but toys are in sight. It actually is really effective with Eisley. And now that Eisley understands the concept of Time Out, we can even say something like, "Do you want to go to time out?" and she'll say "No", and she'll stop doing whatever it is she's doing. If she doesn't, then of course we do take her to time out. These are not empty "threats".

So. Today Eisley was eating her morning snack in the living room while she was playing. She then started throwing her Cheerios onto the floor and stepping on them. I said, "No, Eisley." She glared at me, and kept doing it. I then said, "Eisley. Pick up the cheerios." She said, "No." I said, "Eisley, pick up the cheerios or you go to time out." She looked at me and said, "No. Time Out." And walked herself to the time out corner, sat herself down, and faced the wall.

Umm... I sort of had to laugh. I guess time out really is preferable to picking up cheerios off the ground. I might make the same choice.

2 comments:

Erin Crisp said...

Last night we told Micah that he needed to either stop being pesky and making meaningless noise at the dinner table or he would have to eat in his room alone. He took his plate and cup to his room and finished his dinner in peace. Maybe he needed a break from us as much as we needed a break from him.

Kelly Lawson said...

ha! Great story, Erin! I like that he had the freedom to do that. :)