We LOVE this salad! I found it one day by doing a google search for something that would have quinoa and avocado in it, after we'd had quinoa-stuffed avocado at a friend's house. This recipe came up, we gave it a whirl, and we really enjoy it. It's actually from the Better Homes & Gardens website. Quinoa is a great but under-used food in most kitchens. It's a complete protein, so it's healthful, and makes this salad incredibly satisfying and filling. If you haven't bought quinoa before, it's most commonly considered a grain-- though it's actually a relative of green leafy vegetables like spinach. I have most success finding quinoa in the organics/health food section of the grocery store.
Greek Quinoa & Avocado Salad
* 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained*
* 1 cup water
* 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
* 1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
* 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (1 small)
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Spinach leaves
* 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced**
* 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a 1-1/2-quart saucepan combine quinoa and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
2. Transfer quinoa to a medium bowl. Add tomato, spinach, and onion; stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, and salt. Add to quinoa mixture; toss to coat.
3. Place spinach leaves on 4 salad plates. Arrange avocado slices on spinach leaves. Spoon quinoa mixture over avocado slices. Sprinkle with some of the feta. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
4. *Note: Rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking to remove a bitter substance called saponin that coats the seeds.
5. **Note: Brush avocado slices with additional lemon juice to prevent browning.