Thursday, February 4, 2010

Food.

Sometimes, in facebook statuses, I make mention of what we've had for dinner. Usually, there are several people who then ask for the recipe because it sounds good to them. I love sharing recipes with people, and I'd love it if you were to share your favorite recipes with me. Billy and I love to try out new recipes, because we LOVE food. We especially love simple and tasty food.

So. I'm going to, over the next few days, post some of our favorite recipes in case you want to give them a shot. I've gathered these recipes from various sources, but MOST of our recipes come from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. It's our favorite-- the recipes are great, and the ingredient lists are usually simple. Sometimes we modify the dishes to make them better-suited to our own personal tastes, but rarely have we had a bad dinner from one of the Everyday Food recipes.

I'll begin with the dinner we had tonight. It's an Everyday Food find.

Tortilla Soup with Black Beans


Ingredients (Serves 4):

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice (We used the Fire Roasted kind, and they were delicious!)
* 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving (optional)
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper.

2. Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with lime wedges and, if desired, more chips.

We topped our soup with a little bit of grated Monterrey Jack cheese.

The best part of this dish, besides its taste, is that it took just 15 minutes to make from start to finish. This is a great dish for when you've had a long day and just don't feel like putting forth the effort to make a great meal. In 15 minutes you will HAVE a great meal, that's a healthier (and cheaper) option than doing what's easy, and grabbing dinner at the drive-thru window. To make it a little healthier, you can do what we did, and use baked tortilla chips instead of traditional fried ones.

The other great thing about this dish is that Eisley liked it, too. Any time I can make a meal that all three of us enjoy, I consider the day a success.

2 comments:

M. Brooks said...

This recipe looks awesome! I'll have to try it. It looks a little healthier than the Paula Dean taco soup I usually make!

Kelly Lawson said...

Meredith,

I got a Paula Dean cookbook for Christmas from my grandma-- who looks AND cooks a lot like Paula.

I flipped through and thought, "I need to get rid of this cookbook immediately and not even tempt myself with this deliciously unhealthy food!" Her recipes are hard to resist!