Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Power of One Word

It may come as a shock to many of you. But I'm not perfect. Ha. I'm kidding, of course. I would never pretend to be perfect!

And even though I'm in seminary, and even though I'm a children's pastor, sometimes the busyness of the day gets me distracted. And I forget to pray.

Like today. We had been out running errands all afternoon. Eisley had been a little cranky, we'd driven all over town, and we were exhausted. We finally made it to a restaurant to eat our dinner, and of course we got to the restaurant without any snacks to keep Eisley occupied until the food came. We had planned to eat at home, but the errands had taken much longer than expected. So we were doing our best to entertain our hungry and cranky toddler and feeling generally chaotic and frazzled.

Then our food came, and we immediately started tearing Eisley's food into bite-sized pieces,and blowing on it it so it wouldn't be too hot for her to eat. We finally put her food in front of her, and picked up our own food to eat.

I took my first bite, when I heard Eisley say "Amen!" I looked over, and there was my precious 17 month old daughter, hands folded in prayer, saying "Amen!" over and over again. Even though the extent of her praying skills is that one word, there was something very beautiful about it.

I don't know that I've ever been more proud of my daughter. She continually amazes me with how much she knows, and all that has somehow found its way into her mind and her heart. I was grateful for the reminder from her to thank God for our food, and for the gift of the day- even in all its craziness.

5 comments:

Courtney Armstrong said...

It looks as though I stumbled upon this post only moments after you'd written it! Well, this is embarrassing to admit, but reading it almost sent me into tears! Imagining that deliciously cute little girl, hands in prayer position and incessantly repeating "Amen" tickles my heart and brings a smile to my face! I guess you and Billy are doing something right! :)

It was wonderful seeing you guys when yall were in town! Hope yall are enjoying the new year!!

Angela said...

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

The kingdom of heaven is like...

Jessica said...

Great story. It made my day.

Stephen and Nicole Martin said...

Oh my goodness...
thank you so much for sharing this one. I needed that reminder today!

Praying all is well woman! E is SO SO adorable!!!!