Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kroger Story #4 (A Good One)

We'll take a break from the hideous stories from Kroger, for a (semi) good one. It will be relevant for the story that will post tomorrow.

The thing that only makes this story semi-good instead of just good, is the fact that it seems the store hardly ever has an adequate number of check-out lanes open, and relies too heavily on the self-checkout lanes. I HATE the self-checkout lanes. They never save time. The scale is always off or something and it keeps telling me to "Please remove the last item from your bag and scan it again", or "Please wait for an attendant".

Well. One day I was in there and ALL that was open was self-checkout lanes and I had a ton of produce. I hate self-checkout lanes especially when I have produce. I simply don't have the produce codes memorized and when I'm in a hurry I hate spending the time to look them up. I'd rather have someone scan it all for me that is more familiar than I am with the produce codes. But alas, there I was. I scanned all my produce, looked up all the codes, and with minimal trouble, made it out of the store in what seemed to me to be record time.

When I was leaving the store, I asked the attendant there, out of curiosity, why there were not actual checkout lanes open that day. She explained that until 8 a.m. (It was just shy of 8 when I was in there) the store is on kind of a skeleton crew, and they generally don't have enough people to run the actual lanes and stock the groceries and do all the things that need to be done in the morning. But she also explained to me that although they don't officially have any lanes open that early in the morning, if ever I needed them to open a lane for me, that they were more than happy to do so.

I was grateful for this very helpful piece of information! But tomorrow you will find out what happened the day I decided to take them up on that offer.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Angela said...

These are just way too good. Especially since I'm familiar with this lovely Krogers. In fact, at our local Walmart last night, Ryan and I had quite the comical check-out experience. Oh, Kentucky, there is none like you!

Bring on the next installment...I'm hooked!