Friday, November 13, 2009

Spring Forward, Fall Back

This most recent time change-- the one where we "fall back" an hour, used to be one of my most favorite days of the whole year. I mean, what a gift! An extra hour of sleep? Especially since the time change happens on a Saturday night, and I've got church/work super-early on Sundays. I've always loved Daylight Savings Time.

Until I had a kid. Clearly, whoever came up with the idea didn't have a child. This time change has totally messed up our sleep here at our house. Eisley still hasn't adjusted. Her internal body clock just does what it does, and has no regard for the time on the clock.

She was an early riser anyway. We were lucky if we got to sleep until 7. Now we're lucky if we sleep until 6. Oh, she still isn't allowed out of bed until 7. But there's a whole hour in there where she's awake and talking (and by the time 7 rolls around, she's generally pretty irritated that we haven't come in her room to get her). Our house is small. The walls are thin. There's no sleeping through her early-morning chatter. We keep thinking that like we've trained her before to sleep past 6, we'll be able to do it again. But now after a couple of weeks, I'm not so sure.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions for getting her adjusted to the time change? Adjusting bedtimes hasn't ever really seemed to work for us.

We may just need to face the fact that we may have to wake up at 6 for half the year, while the other half of the year, we wake up at 7. This is just less than fun because it's sometimes just not possible for me to adjust MY bedtime to make up for the lost sleep. Sometimes I have to stay up late to get the homework done. And there's no sleeping in to make up for it. Ever.

Your turn. What ides do you have?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh Kelly!! I wish I could give you some great words of wisdom but honestly there is probably no advice anyone can give you...it's just the way it goes. She will start sleeping later again eventually and then start waking up early again for no reason. Just about the time you think it's better, she will change. It's the nature of the game. :)

AND!!!!! Just be happy that she's not school age yet. You couldn't sleep late even if she would let you. My kids are dressed, fed, and out the door by 7:30am. Sleeping until 6:00am would be a dream at our house! Just wait...your day will come.

Kandice said...

No words of wisdom here, but I did think you would enjoy these two tidbits of randomness:
1. My brother was such an early riser that my mom would just leave a bowl of cereal and a glass of milk on the bottom shelf in the fridge so he could make his own breakfast on saturday morning at 6 am when he got up(at probably age 4)

2. I very distinctly remember my mom sending us to bed when it was still light out (because of the time change). When we said, "But all the other kids are still playing in the street- see?" she simply walked over to the window and closed the blinds "But you're going to bed. Night!"