Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sleep. Sweet Sleep.

Many of you have heard me talk off and on about how Eisley is an early riser. She's up for the day, ready to go, well before 7 a.m. every day. I have friends whose babies of the same age as Eisley sleep until 8. I have a friend whose daughter, born on the same day as Eisley, has to be woken up at 9:30 in the morning or else she'll just keep sleeping. I keep saying to myself (and others), "Oh, if Eisley would just let me sleep past 7, I'd be one happy mama."

Don't get me wrong, she's an excellent sleeper. She falls asleep on her own at night without any drama. All we have to do is put her in her bed with "baby", and within minutes she's asleep. She goes to bed by 7:30 p.m. every night, so Billy and I've got the whole evening to ourselves (We've experimented with different bedtimes, but regardless of the bedtime, she always wakes up between 6:30 and 7. Sometimes earlier). I LOVE that she's such a good sleeper, and really has been, since she was about 5 months old. I love that she sleeps for 11+ hours at night without interruption. I love that she takes a 2+ hour nap every afternoon.

But something even more wonderful than ALL those things has happened over the course of the past 7 days. For 7 days in a row now, she's slept until at least 7:30. One day she slept until 8:15 and on another day she slept until 8:45! This morning, when we needed to leave for the babysitter's house at 7:40, I actually had to wake her up to go. Now. I don't want to go so far as to say that this is the new "norm", lest tomorrow morning she be back to her old ways. But I will say how much I've enjoyed this past week of "sleeping in". Seriously, it's amazing how more rested I feel, with just an extra 30 minutes of sleep in the morning.

I love to sleep. It may be psychological, but somehow, if I get to sleep past 7, even if just for a few minutes, I feel like a completely different person in the morning than when I wake up prior to 7.

So thank you, my precious daughter, for granting us at least a week of sleeping in. I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Even if tomorrow, she's back to waking up at 6:30, that'll be okay. I've had a great week!

4 comments:

Angela said...

Glad she's choosing to be nice to you...even if only for a week! What a difference that makes!
We are in the club of "early-rising-kids" too! So, don't feel alone - there's always a light on here at 6:15.

Kelly Lawson said...

Well, Angela, that does make me feel strangely better, knowing you're up early, too! :)

Eisley went through a period of about 3 months where she consistently woke up between 5:45 and 6:00 every day. Happy as a lark and ready for the day! THAT was miserable! Then it moved to the 6:30 time range and I thought THAT was spectacular!

You know, some day our kids will be teenagers, and they'll be sleeping until noon on Saturdays, and we'll laugh at the thought of them waking up at 6:15!

Angela said...

So true about the teen years! And if I know myself, I'll complain about them sleeping TOO much and wasting their day away!
I'm always amazed at how my kids wake up - - so happy, with such JOY, and ready to take on the world! I wish I could act that way in return, but usually I feel my way to the coffee pot first. :)
Anyway, it IS nice to find companionship through other mothers - - blessings on another "late" wake up tomorrow. ;)

Kandice said...

Haha... I'm a sleeper too (hey, I struggle to get up at 9), but my brother was always an early riser. My mom used to leave a glass of milk and bowl of cereal in the fridge for him so she wouldn't have to get up to make him breakfast when he would get up so early on Saturday morning- ha!
Enjoy the sleep while you can!