Sunday, August 16, 2009

Spoke Too Soon



In a previous post, I bragged on Eisley for being such a good eater. I talked about how much she loves her veggies. Seriously. As an infant, she would eat pretty much anything and everything-- brussel sprouts, kale greens, green beans, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.

I am quickly learning that with Eisley-the-toddler, it's a whole new ballgame. A sometimes more frustrating ballgame. Mealtime has recently become a challenge. Everything goes to the floor. Foods she once loved. Sweet potatoes go flying. Green beans go flying. She'll eat 2 bites of peas, and send the next bite flying. She'll take 2 more bites, and then throw more on the floor. 3 nights ago, we had an all-out battle of wills over zucchini.

The next night she absolutely devoured the squash I made for her. She ate more of it than I did. I tried to explain that squash and zucchini are cousins, and that it really made no sense for her to eat the squash but not the zucchini. She just looked at me and smiled.

She's so much into exploring and discovering these days. A friend offered some encouragement by reminding me that at Eisley's age, she may love the food we've offered her, but she may be way more interested in figuring out gravity or seeing our faces when we disapprove of her sending the food flying to the floor. So we'll hang on, wait it out, and trust that one day our good little eater will return.

In the meantime, I apologize if the next time I see you, I'm covered in Eisley's food.

3 comments:

jeremiah said...

i laughed out loud at that last line! great one.

Becca Barnes said...

Table training is so hard. Don't give up! I know with CB there were several meals I just didn't want to even begin because I knew they would not end well. You know I am a "Baby Wise" girl and the toddler book had some really good pointers. Even today I will tell CB to get control of her hands and she will place them in her lap (usually). Hey, thanks for reminding me of those times. It is funny what you choose not to remember with your first baby! Ha!

Jessica said...

Ha!! This makes me smile. I can't remember when Grant finally started eating well again but it seemed like it would never end. I know Miss Eisley will come around soon. She has very persistent parents!

BTW - I mean that as a compliment :)