Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Conversations with Grant

My cousin Jessica recently started a blog. And it's one of the BEST blogs I subscribe to! The blog is basically a series of conversations that Jessica has had with her 6 year old son, Grant. Grant is hilarious, insightful, and at times, incredibly profound. I know you may not know Jessica or Grant, but if you want to add some humor in to your day, go ahead and add her blog to your Google Reader.

Click here to get to the blog. And here's a great story from today that I just had to share:

Grant brought me one of his dry erase boards and asked me to draw a picture of a bug. I was in the middle of cleaning house before 30 or so people arrived for his big birthday event, so I quickly jotted something down and handed it back to him. And so the conversation begins…

Grant: What’s this???

Mom:
It’s a spider.

Grant: It only has six legs?

Mom: What? Oh. Sorry. I was in a hurry. Just pretend it’s a make believe special spider.

Grant: (exasperated!) How can I pretend that? It’s not a spider if it only has six legs.

(At this point, I stop what I’m doing because I feel an after school special moment coming on. Grant has very little understanding for those who do not do things the correct way (his way)…imagination or not.)


Mom: Grant, it’s just a pretend spider. It doesn’t have to be perfect. That’s the great thing about pretending and using your imagination. You can chose for something to be whatever you want it to be.

Grant: (exasperated again) Mom, I know how to pretend. I just don’t see the point of pretending something incorrectly.

Mom: Just give me the spider. (I draw two more legs)

Now, knowing my son as well as I do, I know that this is not the end of things. And I was right! Two days later on the way to school...

Grant: Mom, do you remember the other day when you drew that spider with only six legs?

Mom:
Yes Grant.

Grant:
Did you just not know that spiders have eight legs?

Mom: No Grant. I am aware that spiders have eight legs, but, honestly, I was in a hurry.

Grant:
Oh. But you understand that it wasn’t really a spider until you put the other legs on right?

Mom:
Yes Grant. I understand.

Grant:
Ok. Good.

Oh Grant!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Awwww! Thanks Kelly!

Kandice said...

That's so cute! :) Sounds like Grant might be a handful...