Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Friends.

*Note: this is a particularly pointless post. I am well aware of that fact.

When the television show "Friends" debuted in 1994, I was 14 and my parents thought that Friends was slightly inappropriate for me to watch... something about Joey the man-whore and Ross' ex-wife being a lesbian. So the Friends craze began and I was not on board.

It wasn't until Season 7 when The One with the Holiday Armadillo aired sometime around the holidays while I was at my aunt & uncle's house. I can still remember the day. I was watching with my fabulous Aunt D and I don't think I had laughed as hard as I did at that episode, ever before in my life. No joke. I became an instant fan, and made it a point to catch up on all previous seasons.

Somewhere in the middle of Season 9, Billy and I were married and had the pleasure of living across the street from my cousin & friend, Christin, and her husband Spencer. They were (and are) total Friends fans. We spent every Thursday night together watching Friends and laughing, and okay-- crying when the last episode aired. Man, those were good times. As a side note, we more recently got together every Thursday night with friends to watch The Office (hat tip to Jeremiah & Lindsay for introducing us to the joy that is The Office), but somewhere in Season 4, we all got pregnant or adopted babies, and now our kids' 7:30 p.m. bedtimes don't allow us the freedom we once had to watch TV together.

Anyway. Many of you who know me, know that I could probably hear any quote from The Office and tell you what episode it is from. I could tell you all the stories and sub-plots that go on in that episode. And you'll know that I also try to make time to watch at least one episode of The Office every day. Call me crazy. I just like to laugh, and The Office never fails to make that happen.

But just recently, my daily TV time has been given to Friends. I only own one season myself (so sad), but recently borrowed another season from a friend of mine, that owns all 10 seasons on DVD. Plus, it still comes on in syndication on TBS and a couple of other channels, and whenever possible, I usually tune in. Turns out, it's still hilarious and STILL makes me laugh. My first love is still The Office. And when I watch my daily episode of Friends, I sort of feel like I'm cheating on Michael Scott and the whole crew of The Office.

But I LOVE it. So, if there are any Friends fans out there-- tell me your favorite episodes! I've compiled a list of my top 10. However, these 10 are in no particular order. They are just my 10 favorite episodes:

1. The One with the Holiday Armadillo, Season 7
2. The One with Chandler in a Box, Season 4
3. The One Where Eddie Won't Go, Season 2
4. The One Where Ross Got High, Season 6
5. The One with Unagi, Season 6
6. The One with All the Resolutions, Season 5
7. The One with Joey's Fridge, Season 6
8. The One with the Nap Partners, Season 7
9. The One with The Rumor, Season 8
10. The One with Princess Consuela, Season 10

7 comments:

Laura said...

When we first moved to KY, Nick and I used to watch an episode of Friends every night over dinner(when I wasn't working)...we are HUGE fans!!..we have ALL 10 seasons on DVD, so if you ever want to borrow one..we'll hook ya up! I Love, love the One Where Ross Got High...so funny! Here are some of our favorites:
The One with the Embryos - Season 4
The One Where No One's Ready - Season 3
The One with the Football - Season3
The One with all the Kissing - Season 5
The One with Phoebe's Birthday Dinner - Season 9
The One with the Videotape - Season 8
The One with Two Parties - Season 2

Neener said...

Oh man! My roomie and I began our journey through the whole series in January! We are currently ending season 4 so I'll have to get back with you on which ones are my favorite. But man, it is still funny after all these years!

Becca Barnes said...

Friends started my senior year in high school. By the time I left for college I was totally hooked. Everyone would cram into one dorm room and watch each Thursday night. Too Fun! My roommate and I could practically quote the series.

Pick a favorite--too hard, but it is funny the which shows stay with you. I can never go to the beach without thinking of 'Jellyfish episode".

Cary Efurd said...

Ok sis. Help me. I am seriously perplexed. You are in school, you work, and you are a mom. I don't understand how you have the time to watch an episode of the Office everyday, an episode of Friends everyday, write a blog about how you watch an episode of the Office and Friends everyday, update your facebook status every 5 minutes, change your profile pice every 5 minutes, upload pics and videos of Eisley every 5 minutes, comment on EVERY last picture that anyone posts on facebook, and keep up with homework, work, and Eisley. Are there more hours in the day out there in Kentucky? I know people are a little slow out there so I guess time is too. Love ya!
BTW-
Office = funny
Friends = NOT funny.

Kelly Lawson said...

OH, CJ. Love you.

And for the record, Friends IS funny.

But really-- if it weren't for all of my breaks and distractions (Friends, The Office, etc.), i would go insane with everything in my life!

30 minutes a day set aside to laugh is much needed. It makes me more productive.

And to quote The Office (From The Coup, Season 3):

Jan: How would a movie increase productivity Michael? How on earth would it do that?
Michael: People work faster after...
Jan: Magically?
Michael: No... they have to... to make up for the time they lost watching the movie.


Ha.

Christin said...

Love it! We rotate through our TV shows DVDs, and we always go back to Friends, so I guess we really don't rotate!
We do miss watching Friends with you guys, and now we too, LOVE The Office! If only we were closer!! (for some reason I feel I have too many exclamation points so far, in this comment!) Next, you'll have to post your favorite Office episodes.
The conversation between you and Cary...also funny! Friends is still funny, even after I've seen each episode about a hundred times. I, though, am not going to list my favorite episodes here because I'm making up for time lost watching tv and wasting time on the internet!
Love ya!

kandice said...

I wasn't really on the Friends wagon either, but I do enjoy watching it from time to time... Unfortunately (or fortunately for the size of my rear end), I've never gottena addicted to the series. I much prefer Golden Girls (ha) or Frasier or something... One of my more recent faves is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I haven't watched tons of it, but my bro got me a season for my bday. Wow, it's definitely inappropriate, dark humor, but it is HYSTERICAL. give it a shot. it's just one step (ok, maybe two) from Arrested Development. Sorry, no Friends episodes to contribute, but I will say that sometimes that "Smelly Cat" song pops in my head for no reason. Does that count?