Friday, January 9, 2009

A Favorite Recipe

One of the best birthday gifts I have ever received came about two years ago from my friend Kandice. She bought me a subscription to the Martha Stewart Everyday Food Magazine. Once a month, a new issue would arrive in my mailbox and I would flip through the pages to see what tasty treats we could try out.

My magazine subscription ran out after a year (I need to renew it) but I still have the old issues and we are having a blast still menu-planning from them. I highly recommend this magazine to anyone out there-- these are wonderful recipes that are made from ingredients that are fresh and easy to find. Billy is trying to get us to eat less meat (we usually have a meat dish just twice a week), and here is my new favorite non-meat recipe. We made it last night and it was as tasty as the first time we made it. It was a flavor explosion! Give it a whirl. You won't be sorry!

Black Bean Tostadas with Corn Relish

Ingredients
2 limes
2 scallions
1 package (10 oz) frozen corn kernels
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 jalapeƱo chile
1 pint grape tomatoes
8 ounces monterrey jack cheese (to be shredded)
4-6 flour tortillas
1 can (15 oz) black beans
1 avocado
Sour Cream for Serving (optional)

1. Start corn relish: Squeeze limes into a medium bowl. Thinly slice scallions, and add to bowl along with corn. Add 1-tbsp of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate (you could make this in the morning to give the flavors a chance to mingle-- we usually don't though and it is still super-tasty).

2. Prep vegetables: Halve jalapeno (remove ribs and seeds for less heat if desired), mince. Halve tomatoes. Combine in an airtight container, cover and refrigerate.

3. Shred Cheese.

4. Make tostadas: Preheat oven to 475-degrees. Arrange tortillas on two baking sheets; brush both sides with remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Rinse and drain beans; sprinkle over tortillas. Top with tomatoes/jalapeƱos, and cheese. Bake until golden and crisp, about 10-minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.

5. Finish with corn relish: While tostadas are baking, pit and peel avocado; dice. Toss with corn mixture to combine.

6. For serving, top tostadas with corn relish, and if desired, sour cream.

Here is the photo from the magazine-- I promise you will enjoy them!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I am so glad you posted this. Kelly and I are also eating less meat and trying to eat healthy, and I have been wanting to try these since you first started talking about them. I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

That sounds very tasty!!! I've got an eggplant lasagna recipe tha I'll have to send you from
Cooking Light. I think you'll like it.

Christin said...

I just printed out this recipe & can't wait to try it! I'm probably the only person in my house who will eat it, but that's ok.