Friday, November 21, 2008

A good word

Saw this on my google reader this morning, from the God's Politics blog. It's a good word and worth sharing:

We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them.


- Abigail Adams
to her husband, John Adams, in Letters of Mrs. Adams.


I'm not quite sure why these words struck me so, but they did. I'm stewing on them this morning--

I am stewing on these words and thinking about them in the context of my faith. It seems that everywhere I turn, Christians (myself included) are talking about things like social justice. We're talking a lot about helping the poor and taking care of the environment and living communally and doing something. We're no longer equating Christianity just with Republican politics and we're questioning policy. We're talking about social justice issues worldwide, and we're talking seriously about loving our enemies. We are questioning the ideal of American consumerism, and we are even talking about how we do church and wondering if we should be doing it differently.

I pray that these are not just things that we talk about because it's what's trendy to talk about in Christian circles right now. That seems to happen a lot. To be involved in a cause because it's trendy exploits the vulnerable and uses them to make us feel good about what we're doing.

I pray, however, that there is sincere action behind these conversations we are having. I pray that they propel us into doing something real and living like Jesus would have us live. Love in action.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

This is a wonderful post, Kelly. I love that you are open and real about things like this. Thank you for challenging yourself and those around you!

jeremiah said...

that IS a good word.
thanks for passing it along.