Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My brain has turned to Jell-O

Think back to the first day of school. Any grade. Any year. It seems there was always ONE teacher who made the comment, "Your brains must have all turned to Jell-O over the summer!"

I really like Jell-O (I like squishing it between my teeth). But I don't like it when my brain turns into it. And that is just what has happened to my brain this summer.

During the school year, the world of Academia keeps me sharp. But because I work as a Children's Pastor, and my summers are filled with Vacation Bible School, Children's Musicals, getting kids off to camp, etc., I don't do summer school. And this summer in particular, I've been so stinkin' tired (I'm blaming it on the fact that I've been growing a person), I haven't done any reading, other than a (very) small handful of pregnancy books.

So my brain? It's mush. I've had absolutely no profound thought lately. No original thought. No great realizations. Nothing exciting to write about, think about, ponder.

I'm bummed.

Yes, the baby is exciting. Yes, I think about the baby a lot!

But I feel like I'm completely asleep in all other areas of my life. I'm ready to wake up.

Not sure how that will all work out once this baby is born (9 days and counting!) and I'm physically exhausted. But I'm betting that somehow through the lessons I will learn through her, I'll come back to life.

And then there's always school in September. The best time of the year.

7 comments:

Magen said...

I'll just go ahead and tell you...August 1 is the BEST day to be born. It's always before school starts, great for fun summer birthday pool parties, and you are usually just a little older than all your friends. Perfect. It also happens to be my birthday. :)

Congrats, it's so soon!!!! Anna Grace will only be 19 days behind Eisley!

jason said...

I am absolutely right there with you. If children's / youth ministry summers were a cartoon - they would be Wile E. Coyote. Run-run-run-splat.

I am stoked for Eisley though! This will round out the fantastic four for Stockton to choose his bride from. :)

nonprofitprophet said...

and its hot. that drains a person anyway. I'm so glad that things health-wise are going well for you and baby. Cherish these last few days of chillin'.... cause baby it ain't gonna last! then you will never have time to read (well, stuff you really want to read). ~npp

kandice said...

About Eisley: I'm really excited that she's almost here!
About that Jell-O brain of yours: I think it's great that you've been able to assess the situation before Eisley even arrives... Most parents don't realize that they have nothing else going on in their lives {besides the baby} until the kids are giong off to college! Now you can make a conscience effort to keep your life balanced, which will only benefit Eisley in the end anyway. :) I like this post. Good job, Kel.

Ingram Gang said...

I would say that it gets better after the baby is born, but that would be a lie. For me at least :)
Can't wait to open your page to sweet pictures of a newborn!!!

Chris said...

J-E-L-L-O ... you have a good excuse though, so don't worry about it :)

Joe W said...

Eisley is a great name. I love it. Also, the picture of you is great.