Thursday, June 19, 2008

Vacation Bible School



In my job as a Children's Pastor, there are some weeks and seasons of the year that are busier than others. The absolute busiest week of the entire year is Vacation Bible School week. This week. This week I've been on a journey with more than 100 kids, learning about and discovering Jesus' miraculous power. We've been in the "Power Lab"-- learning that Jesus gives us the power to be thankful, brave, to serve others, to live forever, and to tell other people about God. It's been a great week.

The kids delight me. They are precious and fun and cute. They ask wonderful questions, and they offer great insights about Jesus. I love to worship with them each morning (with GREAT energy, I might add!) and I love to see them jumping and dancing around doing all of the silly motions to the songs. It is a joy and a challenge to share the gospel with kids in new and fresh ways. For some of them, I'll never know if our "efforts" this week have made an impact. But I am trusting the Holy Spirit to dwell among them and around them and continue to work in their lives.

It's wild to think about being here, on the eve of our last day of yet another VBS. This is my third VBS as the Children's Pastor of this church. The other day, I was thinking back to my first VBS experience here-- I was SO nervous. On Day 1, I was a nervous wreck! I was worried about all of the things that could go wrong and all of the things that would go wrong. I would call my mother-in-law every evening and discuss the bible story for the next day and talk about how to best present it.

This year, I still have had a certain nervousness each day... but of a different kind. Not really nervousness, but just an overwhelming awareness of the responsibility I have as the shepherd to this flock of children-- it's a big deal to tell others about Jesus. It's a big deal to represent him well. It's a big deal-- the words I share with these precious children of His.

It's been a super week! I'm grateful for another successful VBS experience. I must have given out and received 300 hugs this week. I'm sure at least 75 of the kids have patted my belly and asked if they can hold my baby girl when she gets here. And hopefully all of the kids have grown somehow in their thirst for more of God.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love your heart for these kids! This is such an important job, and something I think I'd be horrible at...I'm thankful for people like you who enjoy and do a good job of teaching the kids who are the future. I'm so glad that your week went so well!

nonprofitprophet said...

hey, if they haven't grown in their thirst for God, at least they probably made some cool lil' craft projects. just teasing. ~npp