Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Baby Update

Well, my world is consumed with thoughts of all things "baby" right now. So I apologize for the lack of posts on other topics lately. But here's another update...

I'm almost 31 weeks-- so we've got 9 or so weeks left! I can hardly believe we are in the single-digit countdown mode.

I went last Wednesday to meet with the dietitian and diabetes consultant to get a diet plan for my gestational diabetes and to learn how to check my blood sugar, etc. So I've had one week of checking my blood sugar several times a day. It hasn't been a good week. My blood sugar levels have been all over the place, even though I've been very closely following my suggested diet and I've really been counting my carbohydrate intake. But alas, there are more factors that contribute to my blood sugar levels besides carbs-- stress level, activity level, pregnancy hormones, etc. And some things that are just beyond my control.

I went to the doctor yesterday and showed him the logbook I have been keeping. He was extremely encouraging. Though my levels have not been great, he was just very affirming and ended up giving me a prescription of a once-daily pill that should help tighten up the numbers some. It's not insulin-- insulin would be the next step, should this pill not help. As I sat in the exam room, crying and feeling frustrated, my doctor and his nurse were just GREAT. It made me feel very good about the choice I have made in choosing this particular doctor. He's personable, friendly, and very open about his Christian faith. He has some good things to say.

After my appointment yesterday, I met Billy for dinner (he couldn't come to the appointment because of his work schedule, but my friend Carissa actually went with me, and we also ran into Jeremiah & Lindsay there, who had an appointment at the same time).

After dinner, Billy and I went to our first childbirth class at the hospital! It was a little overwhelming, but certainly informative and actually kind of fun. We met several other expecting couples that were young and friendly and fun. And we got to go on a tour of the maternity wing of the hospital-- I was very impressed with the facility. I don't have many labor halls to compare this to, as I have only visited friends and family in other hospitals just a few times. But our hospital is very nice-- the delivery rooms seem very homey and comfortable and spacious. The postpartum rooms (where we'll stay for however long we are in the hospital) are also homey feeling and equipped with wireless internet-- so no worries-- we'll be able to post pictures of our baby girl as soon as she arrives.

And while we wait for her arrival-- there are many things yet to be done. We've got to paint the nursery and get furniture. We've got a baby shower at our church on June 22nd and one in Texas on the 28th of June. And one here in Wilmore in July. We have already been incredibly blessed with so many wonderful gifts. We are overwhelmed and blessed by how many people are taking part in the excitement of our little girl's coming arrival into the world and into our family. I know these weeks are sure to fly by-- I'll try to keep you all posted.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

This is all so exciting! I can't believe the big day is already so close. I hope my wait passes this quickly. Thanks for the update!

Kandice said...

i'm excited to see you soon! (but honestly, next time, you should better plan your pregnancy... don't you know pregnant women in texas during june are miserable?!) :) j/k glad to hear that you're truckin' right along with snake eyes!

Crystal said...

I can't believe how far along you are and I haven't even seen you in person since the announcement! I can't wait to see you at the shower! Take care of yourself. And tell Billy that I said he has to do everything you say for the next two months!

Anonymous said...

Be careful what you wish for!

Janey McCallister