Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dia de los Madres

Unless you live under a rock, then you are aware that this past Sunday was Mother's Day. The day to celebrate Mom.

This was my first Mother's Day. Sort of. I guess technically I'm not a mom yet. But at the same time, I am. Our child is happily growing within... every decision I make these days revolves around her-- from the things I eat and drink, how much sleep I get, the way I take care of my body and the amount of exercise I get. She has dictated what I do or do not do with my waking (and sleeping) moments since November when we found out I was pregnant.

I had wondered in my mind (you know, instead of actually asking) how Billy felt about Mother's Day and I wondered if we would celebrate. Then on Friday night, we were in the car on the way to one of the best date nights we have had in a long time (hooray Date Night!), and Billy said, "So, Sunday is Mother's Day. Do you want to celebrate? I already think of you as a mom, and I've got an idea of something I'd like to do for you. But if you think that would be weird, then we can just wait." Well, I LOVE celebrating. So I said, "Heck yes! Let's celebrate Mother's Day!"

My first Mother's Day was great. We went to church, where I received many Mother's Day wishes from the folks at church. One of my 4th graders was so sweet and had even made me a card that said "Happy First Mother's Day!" One of my 5th graders, who did the Opening Prayer in church was sure to include in her prayer, prayers of blessings for all of the moms-to-be. Her family told me she put that part in especially for me. I was touched.

Then we went to eat Mexican food after church... and then came home to take one of the VERY best Sunday afternoon naps EVER. We made a mat on the floor so that Riley the dog could join us in our nap (she's not allowed on the furniture), and she snuggled very happily between the two of us, and slept quite contently for 2 hours. She's such a snuggle-puppy. I just love that sweet face of hers.

And then... Billy's Mother's Day gift to me. New bathroom decor! I've been complaining about my bathroom forever (Billy and I don't actually share a bathroom-- he uses the guest bathroom, and I use the master bath. It works well for us.) Anyway, back to complaining about my bathroom... the shower curtain was ratty and old-fashioned. I didn't have a bathroom rug. My shelf has been sitting on the floor of the bathroom for months, waiting to be hung. My shower curtain rod was beginning to rust. So sweet Billy had gone to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and picked out new bathroom accessories for me. He did a FABULOUS job. The shower curtain is gorgeous. The shower curtain rod-- new and rust-free. New shower curtain rings, which are totally great. And a fabulous new rug that feels so good under my feet. He even hung my bathroom shelf. It already looks great, but we also have plans to paint the bathroom a cool shade of green. It was a GREAT surprise... and lucky for me, thanks to this growing baby girl, it seems I have to go to the bathroom all of the time! Which gives me plenty of excuses to go look at my fabulous new bathroom.

All in all, a great Mother's Day week. Earlier in the week, we were blessed by two incredible gifts-- my parents purchased our stroller and car seat off our baby registry and had it shipped to us. And Billy's parents purchased our crib bedding and sent it to us as my Mother's Day surprise. Our baby girl really IS coming. She really will be joining our family in just 3 short months. Wow. Life is wild.

5 comments:

Joe W said...

Missed you in class today.

I like the name Eisley Lawson.

Happy belated 1st Mothers Day.

Anonymous said...

Yea for your first Mothers Day!
:-)
And what a great hubby to think of surprising you like that!
lj

Kandice said...

what a great gift! now if you could just tackle the nursery... :) happy belated mother's day! i know you'll be a great one...

KellyLawson22 said...

No way, Kandice. Billy and I aren't touching that nursery until you come help us. Seriously. We're waiting!

KellyLawson22 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.