Friday, May 16, 2008

Baby Update

Well, when we first made our announcement on the blog that we were having a baby, I said I'd post periodic updates. I haven't exactly done that. Sorry to all of you folks back home who might be interested in that sort of information. So here is an update on little Eisley. Sorry to bore any of you who are NOT interested in this sort of thing... you can just skip this post and check the blog again later for something else. :)

The baby weighs about 2 and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures almost 15 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can open and close her eyes, which now sport lashes (eyelashes!! Can you believe it?!). This movement is more of a reflexive blink than a deliberate opening and closing. She continues to put on weight, adding more and more baby fat. If she were to be born now, she would have an 88% chance of survival. Next week, at 29 weeks, that percentage jumps all the way up to 96%. Obviously, we want her to keep on cookin' and make it all the way to 40 weeks, but it is good to know that now if something WERE to go wrong, she would have a good chance of making it.

Billy and I have also been quite entertained by all of her kicking. It's fun to watch my belly and see it moving around from time to time when she REALLY gets going.

I have a doctor's appointment next Thursday. This is my last appointment at the monthly interval. After this appointment, I'll start going once every two weeks. You know what that means. It means we're getting closer and closer to arrival day! I still have not chosen which doctor we will be using in the delivery room, but hope to make that decision very soon. I have ruled out ONE of the doctors I can choose from. I think I may have even come close to ruling out TWO of the four. To be truthful, any of them would be great, as they are all very well qualified and capable. It's mostly just a matter of who I "click" with the best... and here within two more doctor's visits (when I see each of my "top choices") I should feel confident enough to make the final decision.

We start our childbirth classes at the hospital on June 3rd and are really looking forward to them. Those classes will no doubt help us feel more relaxed about what is to come. Our friends Jeremiah and Lindsay have taken these same classes recently, along with a "Baby Boot Camp" class and have said they really are quite helpful. So bring it on! I'm ready.

I think that's about it for now. I've got a mountain of schoolwork to complete by next Friday, when the semester is officially over with. I'm drowning, but I know I'll make it.

Love,
Kelly

6 comments:

Neener said...

When you write about eyelashes, I totally thought about Juno when she freaks about fingernails! Fingernails!

That's crazy to think of babies' survival rate. One extra week makes a difference between 88% and 96%! Either way, I hope she keeps "COOKIN'!"

Also, can we have a picture of the cooks? (And I'm not talking about American Idol David and his brother!)

Jeremiah said...

Even though you're drowning, be glad to know that there is a captain to a cruise ship out there...and his name is Bruisin.

KellyLawson22 said...

Ha ha, Nina! I had that same thought as I wrote it. :) I thought, "Who am I? Juno?" But the fact of the matter is that it really IS quite amazing!

Yes. You can have a picture. I'll try to post one soon. The pregnant version of Kelly looks slightly different than the non-pregnant version. It could be entertaining.

KellyLawson22 said...

P.S. Jeremiah-- well-played on the quote!

Ingram Gang said...

One you get to the two week apts, it does fly by.
----zooom----
did you see that? There the time went.
hehe, I'm dumb

Tanya said...

WOW! She is filling out. It is a Miracle!!

Love you