Tuesday, April 8, 2008

So I was wrong.

Billy is a former skater. In high school, he had long hair, hung out with the "skater" crowd, cussed a lot, and went few places without his skateboard. His shoe of choice? Vans, of course. The "standard" for skate shoes.

I am not a former skater. In high school, I passed judgment on the skater crowd. I made fun of them for being such "losers" and assumed that they all did drugs.

I still think it's funny that I married a skater. Billy still has two skateboards, and has even tried to teach me to skate. These days, he is bald, and cusses a lot less. And last month, he bought a new pair of Vans.

Long before we found out we were expecting a baby, Billy would often point out the Baby Vans in the window of Journey Kidz at the mall. Saying how someday, HIS kid would be sporting a pair. Baby Chucks? Yes. I could get on board with those. They really ARE adorable. But Baby Vans? Baby skate shoes? No way. Not MY kid. I often laughed off Billy's comments about the shoes, knowing full well that by the time Baby Lawson was ever a reality, Billy would have come to his senses or at least forgotten about the shoes.

And then came news of Baby Lawson. And then came news of Baby GIRL Lawson. And suddenly, pink and white Vans were all I could think about. I thought about how CUTE our little girl would look in them. How cool they would look on her feet. I even rushed to the mall the week of our ultrasound to buy a pair at Journey Kidz. Only to discover they did not sell enough of the baby Vans to carry them anymore, so I was out of luck. I was sad. But I quickly made my way to Vans.com!

Today, in the mail, arrived our baby girl's first pair of Vans. They are simply adorable. And insanely COOL all at the same time. The model name? "Old Skool". I love them. Here is a photo, for your enjoyment:

12 comments:

kevin said...

Like I've always said, you either start out a skater or you marry one. I love the vans! They are perfectly awesome just like you two and your little girl that will be sporting them some day soon!

Kelly said...

Those are Awesome! I wouldn't have normally said something like this, but now that I'm going to be a dad, I guess I have to start liking little pink shoes. Do they make little pink skateboards also?

Shannon said...

I love this post! It's so funny and cute. And the shoes are amazing. Also, my husband's comment was pretty funny too. It's still odd to think of him as a dad. I guess I know it, but it's still surprising to hear him say it (or see him write it, I guess).

KellyLawson22 said...

Yes they DO make little pink skateboards! I am quite sure that when our little one is able to walk, her dad will be buying her one.

Neener said...

OH MY GOSH, YESSS!!!

I remember mentioning baby Chucks to you so I am delighted to know baby girl Lawson will be sporting sweet Old Skool Vans!

I cannot wait to oogle at her via the internet. Really!

Dr Bill said...

CUSSING??!! My sweet Billy Boy?? You must be thinking of some OTHER skater boy!! The Vans ROCK!

KellyLawson22 said...

Ha ha!! I will say the same thing I said to "Billy Boy"'s mother this morning. :) I know it's hard to believe, but Billy is not ALWAYS perfect. So yes, he has been known to cuss on the very rarest of occasions. And apparently he did a good job of hiding his cussing habit during high school. :)

Chris said...

I want to get Rori a pair of converse all stars like Jeremiah and Lindsay, but Liz won't let me. Bummer. Perhaps I shall live vicariously through you two ;)

Kandice said...

Oh no... You and your skater hubbie are going to make this child so un-Texan... :) I'm buying her a pair of pink cowgirl boots!

Tanya said...

Shoes -- shoes-- shoes! She is my kind of girl already. A girl can never have enough shoes.

Shannon said...

I think perhaps it may be time for another post. Update, woman! (You created a monster when you started doing that to my blog.)

Erin Crisp said...

The boys all had toddler Vans at one point from their Aunt Jess. They loved them... it's like they had an innate sense of the coolness of their shoes... I suppose it could have been a result of every teenage in our youth group stopping them to say, "hey, cool baby Vans Micah.. I love your shoes!" I wonder how they'd feel about pink? Isaiah is young enough that I bet he wouldn't even care... hmmmm.