Thursday, March 20, 2008

One of the Funniest Things I've Ever Done

This Holy Week, our church set up a Prayer Labyrinth in our Fellowship Hall-- a fantastic opportunity for individuals to go through a Christ-centered journey and prayer experience. There are several stations where you look inward-- at the distractions of your life, at the hurts you're holding on to, creating holy space, and a station for communion. There are stations where you look outward-- praying for God's creation, praying for others, etc. Really very cool. And very unlike anything VUMC has done before.

Well, tonight was my night to "man" the labyrinth. What that means is greeting people as they enter the fellowship hall, inviting them to relax and get into an attitude of prayer and inner contemplation, and explaining to them how the labyrinth works. The labyrinth is guided by audio tracks-- we have iPods and handheld CD players available. Each person enters the labyrinth at least 5 minutes after the previous person has entered so there is plenty of space between persons and plenty of time for folks to walk through each station without feeling rushed. It takes about an hour to get all the way through the labyrinth.

That's the set up. Tonight at 7:00 p.m., the Soul Survivors group came to the labyrinth following their group dinner. The Soul Survivors group is our widowed womens group. So you can probably imagine the average age of these lovely ladies. They are probably all in their 80s, and precious as can be.

This is the funny part. I had the honor of giving these ladies a crash-course in using an iPod. It was hilarious. Hysterical, actually. The ones that didn't use iPods used CD players. And that was an interesting game in and of itself. "What do I do if I need to stop? What happens if I need to go back? What do I do if I need to turn the volume up? Do I need to wear my hearing aids at the same time? You mean, these little white things go IN your ears, and I'll hear the sound?? Oh, my granddaughter would be so proud! I'm using an iPod!"

It was a sweet moment. Some of them figured it out. Some of them didn't. One woman came out of the labyrinth after about 15 minutes and said, "Well, I don't know how this thing works. It just quit playing so I figured it was done. I did make it around to all the stations, though. What a WONDERFUL experience!"

So maybe they didn't "get" the technology, but I REALLY am so impressed with them for trying! And they weren't afraid to try. And they all had terrific, meaningful experiences. What a great day.

Blessings...
Kelly

14 comments:

Neener said...

Awwh, I love it when older folks learn technology! I'm not even sure my mom would know what to do with an iPod!

Anonymous said...

Ohh, that is so adorable! You were sweet to assist them Kelly!

Lindsay

Kelly said...

I can just picture you trying to teach and 80 year old women how to use an Ipod...HILARIOUS! Also, very cool that a UM church did a labyrinth (its so non-methodist).

jason said...

EXCELLENT STORY!

It is such a tremendous blessing when generations come together and learn to understand each other. That's why God gave us church, which includes old people and young people, boomboxes and iPods.

I'm loving it....not like McDonalds.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there, but I believe I was on my way to the rink to ref a hockey game. Did her batteries die? Did you ever figure out what happened?

KellyLawson22 said...

No, her batteries didn't die. It was still playing when she handed it to me. I think she had accidentally turned the volume down! But because she gave such a glowing report (and had been one of the most confused ones about the whole thing) I didn't push her to go back in. :)

Scott Martin said...

That's so awesome!

Shannon said...

How super cool! I love older people who are willing to try new things. They are so much fun!

Jeremiah said...

GRRREEEAAAT STORY!
hearing aids plus earbuds = hilarious!

Dr Bill said...

Hey, looking at the Baby Lawson Countdown! We're at 20 weeks with 140 days to go! Aren't those EQUAL?? That means exactly HALF WAY today! Can't wait to find out which box to open this week!

KellyLawson22 said...

Yep! We are exactly halfway there! Can you believe it? Can't wait to be able to tell you which box to open on Tuesday! :)

Call us as soon as you both are at home that day!

Ingram Gang said...

I can only imagine you trying to teach my grandma, what an experience!

Kandice said...

oh, i love that... that clueless woman would have totally been my grandmother. :) it's great. :) good job, kelly!

Tanya said...

Hey I hope you are around when I am 80 to help me learn the new gadgets of that time. By the way you will be in your 50's when I am 80.