Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Valentime's" Day

No, that's not a typo. That's just how my friend Danira says the name of this holiday. She's in 2nd grade.

I don't really "do" Valentine's Day. I never have. That's not to say I'm not a romantic... I am! It's not to say I don't love flowers and chocolate... I do! But I've never really gotten "into" Valentine's Day (Though I will say this-- For me, EVERY Valentine's Day MUST include candy conversation hearts at some point).

I'm not against Valentine's Day. I love to be loved. I love loving others. I love being reminded of the greatest Love of all. Love is good.

So what did I do today, on this fine holiday of all things pink, white, and red?

I woke up at 7 a.m. and baked cookies to take to my Greek class today-- I'm trying to earn my brownie (cookie?) points early! I went to class... a riveting discussion in Christian Ethics! I loved it. I went to chapel. AWESOME. I came home and had lunch and then went to Greek class. And then I went to Versailles...

I went to Versailles for Homework Helpers-- a ministry of our church where we hang out with kids and help them with their homework. It's pretty simple, really. Well, when I got there, my friend Mitzy informed me that she and her family were moving to Mexico this weekend to be with their family that still lives there. She said they were going for at least 5 years. Mitzy has been an important part of my life for 2 years now. She's a really cool 5th grader with a great smile, an even better heart, and a contagious laugh. I see Mitzy every Sunday at Kids' Club and every Thursday at Homework Helpers. I know you're not supposed to have favorites, but I must admit, she's one of mine. She told me this horrible news, and my heart sank. I thought,
"Surely this is not true." I asked her sister Danira if this was true. If they were moving. Danira said, "Yes. We're moving on Saturday."

I cannot even tell you how sad I was. For a whole 5 minutes. Then Mitzy told me she was only joking and that they were NOT moving to Mexico. I didn't really get the joke, but was sure relieved when I found out the truth!! Stinker!

Mitzy has been very instrumental in helping ME get a better picture of what the Kingdom of God looks like. What it's all about. What Christ's LOVE is all about. I'm glad that at least for now, Mitzy, my teacher, isn't going anywhere.

So we did some homework, and I played in an air hockey "tournament" against my friend Willie-- a 4th grader. He's a sweetheart. And MAN can he play air hockey! I won our first match. He won the second. And the third was very close! We were each only 1 point away from winning... when Willie made the goal first. It was a sad defeat for me. Willie was elated. :)

There was still some snow on the ground outside of the building where we meet for Homework Helpers. The kids wanted to go outside, so we did. One of the girls built a tiny snowman. When she wanted me to come look at it she said, "Come see my snowman. It has boobs! And a wiener! You know, just in case." In case of WHAT? I was confused. And apparently, so was her snowman.

You never know what an afternoon at Homework Helpers will look like. I was pretty entertained today.

Finally, I came home, and Billy and I made dinner. No, we made a FEAST! We had grilled tilapia (yum!) and asparagus and squash. Super yum!

And now? Now I'm off to the store to buy ingredients for CHILI! The Asbury Seminary Texas students get together once or twice every semester to hang out and eat and just enjoy being with other Texans. Tomorrow is our annual Chili Cook-Off. I've never really made chili before. But not to worry! My friend Shannon provided me with a Happy, TX cookbook filled with recipes, and she is coming over tomorrow so that we can tackle this task together! Wish us luck. We hope to take home the prize.

Know that you are loved.

5 comments:

Magen Roberson said...

Girl, I didnt know you were pregnant!!! Where have I been? And I totally don't know why I forgot to add your blog to my list. I mean to do that everytime you've made a comment. CONGRATS!!! We are very close together...you're 3 weeks further along than me. Fun times!! Gotta go eat those strawberries now! :)

Jeremiah said...

GRRREAT post friend!

Mitzy is hilarious, great story.
Willie sounds awesome, but mostly cause his name is almost Billy.
Today is my Vday...

Neener said...

"Come see my snowman. It has boobs! And a wiener! You know, just in case." In case of WHAT? I was confused. And apparently, so was her snowman.

Reading this is an awesome start to the day!

jason said...

Ha Ha ha!! boobs and a wiener? I'm not sure if they've been watching too much cable tv or not enough :)

EXCELLENT story

Ingram Gang said...

Hey stranger. How are you? Congratulations on the lil' one on the way. What a sweet, sweet time for you. I'm excited to keep up with you and this pregnancy :)