Thursday, January 17, 2008

Karaoke

I love to sing. And if you know me at all, you know that I'm also terrible at it. But today, I felt like I needed to find some new sing-along songs for the car. The iPod is in major need of an update. And thanks to some folks at Christmas, I ended up with some iTunes gift cards. I cherish such gift cards, and it generally takes me forever to spend them. It's such a big commitment-- with millions of songs to choose from, how DO you choose? Well, don't judge me, but I thought I'd get some good karaoke-type songs-- songs I can yell out in my car, knowing that I'm safe from the possibility of anyone hearing me. Sure, they'll see me acting like an idiot, but I'm much less concerned about that part.

So here's what I downloaded today. Just 5 songs, but I thought they were a good place to start:

1. Dancing' in the Moonlight -- King Harvest
2. We Built This City -- Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship (or whatever they were called at the time of this song's release!)
3. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now -- Jefferson Airplane/Starship, etc.
4. Ain't Too Proud to Beg -- The Temptations
5. Everybody Wants to Rule the World -- Tears for Fears

Random, I know. And maybe you would have spent your gift card differently. But I think this was $5 well spent. If you had to pick 5 guilty-pleasure songs to download today (free from the judgment from others!), what would they be?

13 comments:

jason said...

two blog posts in two days? well done.

before I give you my list - I must congratulate you on selection #3 especially. tremendous song. 80s through and through, but awesome nonetheless. Did you ever see that "Mannequin" movie? that scared the crap out of me and made me fearful everytime I went shopping.

my list would depend on what I'm using it for. Am I rolling in the Cavi or trying to set the mood? With that said, here's a good overall list.

1) Come on Ride It (the train) Quad City DJs

2) Knew You Were Waiting For Me George Michael and Aretha Franklin

3) End of the Road Boyz II Men

4) The Humpty Dance - Digital Underground

5) Get Outta My Dreams (Get Into My Car) Billy Ocean


remember, no judging :)

1) Come on Ride It

KellyLawson22 said...

Jason! I KNEW there had to be at least ONE Billy Ocean song on your list! I kept waitng for it, and happily discovered it there at #5.

Kandice said...

Hmmm... I'm very upset that Jason stole the first one that came to my mind (his #3)... so I'll choose another Boyz II Men just for the sake of variety...

1) Foxey Lady- Jimi Hendrix
2) More than A Feeling- Boston (the first song on my personal "driving" mixed CD)
3) On Bended Knee- Boyz II Men (but really, it would be End of the Road if Jason hadn't beat me to the punch)
4) Little Red Corvette- Prince (or whatever he calls himself these days)
5) How Am I Supposed to Live Without You- Michael Bolton

Wow, on screen my picks looks pretty scary... oh well. I'm stickin' with 'em. Happy Itunes Hunting!

Shevawn said...

I will have to add those 5 songs for myself! Good picks, but do you have any Wilson Phillips on your list? It is a must. :)

Kelly said...

Shevawn,

I absolutely already have Wilson Phillips on the iPod! :) Some good ones-- "Hold On", "Release Me", "Impulsive", etc. Fab.

K

Jeremiah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremiah said...

Ok, so maybe i have ALL of these and have no need to buy them or maybe I own just a few of them, you can decide...sorry, but is that breaking the rules of the game if you already have these shameless tracks of joy? But I will say this, even if I had 5 guilt free iTunes dollars and could spend it on any songs i chose, I would still have these following 5 make the list.
Also, might I add that a list of just 5 is a TOUGH number to squeeze so much great music into! I'll try my best...but reserve the right to change it bi-anually.

Now remember guys - judge not, lest ye be judged...

1) Total Eclipse of the Heart
Bonnie Tyler

2) No Easy Way Out
Robert Tepper (Rocky IV Soundtrack)

3) Please Wait Up for Me
Sherwood

4) Mo' Money Mo' Problems
BIG, Mase, & Puff Daddy

5) I'll Be There for You
Bon Jovi

There you have it, my musical soul exposed to the world (wide web).
Great post Kelly!!!

jason said...

Jeremiah - I'm digging number four!!

Throw your rollies in the sky!

Anonymous said...

Ok, this will take me a while. I may have to walk away from the computer several times and then come back!

1. You Give Love a Bad Name- Bon Jovi

2. More Bounce in California- Soul Kid #1

3. It's Not Right but it's Ok- Whitney Houston

4. Glycerine- Bush

5. With or Without You- U2

That should cover most genres.

Lindsay Aja

Anonymous said...

PS- Jason I am in complete judgement of your choices!

Lindsay

jason said...

Lindsay,

I know...you are judging them as awesome. Go preview Get Outta my dreams by Billy Ocean on iTunes right now and tell me it's not the greatest 80s song EVER.



go on!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm going to weigh in after MUCH consideration...

1) Open Arms, by Journey (tell me you can listen to this song without screaming out "so now i cooooome to yooooooou, with oooooopen armmmmms.." I don't believe you.)

2) More than a Feeling, Boston
(I see my Mary Ann walkin away--heyyyyyy)

3) Pina Colada Song (I know... whatever.)

4) Free Fallin, Tom Petty (cause I'm freeeeee....free fallin...)classic!

and, the ultimate 80's flagship:

5) Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
"I see a little sillouetto of a man..." (You're ALL singing it right now!) :-)

I win.

lj

KellyLawson22 said...

ha ha! Laurie, I think you may have in fact, won. I now have bits and pieces of ALL of your songs floating happily in my head.