Monday, December 17, 2007

Happy Birthday Jesus. Sorry your party is so lame.

The title of this blog post comes from Michael Scott of The Office. It makes me laugh every time I hear it. Jesus' birthday is just around the corner. And I'm going to try not to make it a lame party this year. I plan to party in style.

I love Christmas. It's such a fun and festive time. I love thinking on and being reminded of God's great gift to the world-- himself. Baby Jesus. I love being with family, taking part in old traditions, being a part of the Lawson family traditions (which are still pretty new to me), and creating new traditions with Billy.

This Friday, we embark on our 13-hour journey to Texas for a whirlwind visit with the family. It will be crazy. And no doubt, when we finally make it back here to Kentucky, we will be exhausted. Worn out. Dragging our feet. But it will be worth it. I will happily give up a week of getting a good night's sleep, and will happily live out of a suitcase, spending each night at a different house, if it means I get to see my family and celebrate this sacred holiday with them.

So... in anticipation of next week, here are some things I enjoy about Christmas:

- My mom's Christmas tree. The ornaments that adorn it are sentimental and special, and all of the packages below it are wrapped beautifully in brown and gold. I always thought she was crazy for having such specific wrapping guidelines (and maybe she is!), but her tree really is beautiful.

- I also love real Christmas trees. They smell heavenly. My mom's tree is artificial (when my little sister was born and was allergic, we got an artificial tree), and as previously stated, lovely. But I just LOVE the smell of real trees. Billy and I got a real tree this year and I am very pleased with it.

- My grandparents have a real tree every year, and I love it. The tree topper is an angel that my dad made when he was in the 3rd grade. It's fabulous.

- I enjoy pretty wrapping paper and ribbons. I'm not a huge fan of the gift bag.

- As a child, my favorite gift was my EZ-Bake Oven. Now I'm not so interested in gifts. Sure, I'll take them if you're giving them... :) But mostly I just like being together.

- I like my 2 nativity scenes I have at my house. One was a gift from my mom and the other was a gift from Billy's mom. Both are beautiful. And besides a few candles (and the tree), they're the only Christmas decorations up in our home this year. I just couldn't put up any of the Santa stuff this year. I don't know... I kind of like Baby Jesus, and after I put the nativity scenes out, I just didn't feel like we needed any other decorations.

- I DON'T like Christmas traffic and I DON'T like the fact that I'm not done with my Christmas shopping. We just didn't finish... and I'm not quite sure when (if) we will, since we leave on Friday, and have commitments every night this week.

- I love sending and receiving Christmas cards in the mail. I love seeing all of the pretty ones, reading the enclosed Christmas letters, seeing new family photos and seeing just how much all of the kids have grown. I love that the Christmas card is a tiny little glimpse into the personalities of people. I've gotten some GREAT ones this year!

- Christmas movies. I love Christmas movies. There are the classics-- Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, and Meet Me in St. Louis. And then there are the modern-day classics-- A Christmas Story & National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

- Christmas food. Iced sugar cookies, fudge, almond toffee, and Aunt D's famous shortbread. Oh, you can't forget Pittsburg Hot Links and Aunt Mary's Cornbread Dressing. And then there's pumpkin pie and homemade Chex Mix. And when I was a little kid, and we used to take family ski trips, my stepmom always made delicious snow ice cream.

- Christmas Music! O Come, O Come Emmanuel, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!, Come Thou Long Expected Jesus, The First Noel, O Little Town of Bethlehem. Oh, and I love the poinsettias that decorate the church sanctuary.

- Family, family, family! My mom's family, my dad's family, my stepdad's family, Billy's family! I love them all, and being so far away from everyone makes me truly TREASURE the time we have together at Christmas.

- Cold Weather. I LOVE cold weather. On Sunday I woke up to snow flurries, and against the rolling hills of Kentucky and the black wooden fences and barns, it made for a beautiful drive to church.

I could talk about Christmas forever. It's definitely one of my favorite times of the year.

What are some of YOUR favorite things about Christmas?

Blessed Advent!

By the way, many thanks to Kandice for the new blog header above! She designed it for me, and I love it! Thanks, Kandice!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great new header, very cute pattern! Umm, my favorite Christmas "thing" is going to candlelight service with my entire family and then going home and reading The Littlest Angel, it's our tradition story. Try it, and see if you don't cry!

Lindsay Aja

Kandice said...

I love the title of this post. That cracks me up every time too!
And great minds must think alike because I just posted something very similar on my blog (the things I love about Christmas)... Thanks for sharing all of your favorite details!

Kelly said...

Yes! Christmas Traditions...I love it! I accepted your challenge and I am currently working on my own response to your questions on my blog. Thanks for the great post idea. Also, I LOVE real christmas trees also; there is NO OTHER WAY to go.

adam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jason said...

you know what I like about christmas? ....updated blogs :)

jason said...

ha! ok, you're right. I was just wanting my fix of Team Lawson!