Monday, September 10, 2007

Post-Surgery Riley

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Well, Riley had her surgery today. Surgery to repair a torn ACL. Yes, that really happens in dogs. Especially dogs like Riley who loves to run and jump and wrestle and play.

My experiences today with Riley's surgery have officially confirmed the fact that when I am a mother to an actual human child someday, I'll be as neurotic as they come.

Today, I took my sweet, unsuspecting Riley-dog to see our FABULOUS vet, Dr. Eckert. They weighed her and checked her in, I signed her paperwork, and then I had to leave her behind. I am not kidding when I tell you that I got in the car and cried. Call me crazy, but I'm telling you... it was heart-wrenching to see her sad little face as I left the vet's office, and couldn't take her with me.

Then I went to work and busied myself organizing and catching up on all of the work things I've neglected since the start of school last week. A friend stopped by and said, "You look really distracted. Are you okay?" I confessed that I was wondering about sweet Riley-girl and wondering how she was doing in surgery.

Finally, at 5:00, it was time to pick up Riley. She had been in recovery for about 4 hours, and was a little groggy from the anesthetics. She hobbled in to the waiting room, saw me, immediately put her head on my lap, and sighed. It was pitifully sweet. I couldn't help but get teary-eyed.

And then came time to pay the bill. I LOVE our vet. He's great with Riley and very capable. He also goes to our church and knows mine & Billy's financial situation, and knows that we are on a very tight budget with me being in school and only working part-time. So I went to pay the bill, and the woman behind the counter said, "Wow!! I think you got a great deal on this surgery!" The surgery that Riley had done is ordinarily a $700-$900 surgery. My bill was a fraction of that cost. I cried again. How blessed are we? Very. I really was overwhelmed in that moment by God's goodness and faithfulness and provision in our day-to-day lives, through something as simple as a little dog's surgery.

Riley is doing well. She doesn't quite know what to do with her bandaged leg, and I can tell she has some pain. But she's a champ-- she does really well at taking her medications, which makes life much easier for Billy & myself. We don't have to hide it in her treats or in her food. So even though she doesn't feel much like eating right now, she still has taken her medication, and that's a good thing.

The recovery time will be about 6 weeks, but at the end of that time, she should have about a 95% recovery of usage of her injured knee! No more hobbles! These first 10 days are the most critical, and we have to be VERY careful with what movement we allow, so that she doesn't undo the repair that was made today.

I'll leave you with another photo of Riley, taken earlier this evening.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

jason said...

that last picture is heartwrenching

we love Riley and we will definitely be praying for her and you and Billy!

Kandice said...

Hugs to Riley! Hope she has a speedy recovery!!!

Martha said...

Annie sends best wishes to her sister Riley!