Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I'm a Guru!

2 posts in one day? What? Okay, it's 12:28 a.m, so it's technically a different day. I hope everyone enjoyed the pictures of our new garden.

The reason for post #2 is to tell you about the most amazing discovery of today-- the Guru Library. It's an online library program (free!), that allows you to catalogue your books, movies, and music. And it's linked to Amazon.com, so it gives you a "purchased new" price and a "purchased used" price.

Cool features:

- The aforementioned price factor. For example, I'm nowhere near cataloguing all of my books. I've only input the books from my small bookshelf-- a total of 77 books. If something were to happen to (!!) my books, to replace them NEW, it would cost me $2,027. To buy used copies of the books, it would cost $1,296. Disgusting, right? It's incredible to think about how much money I have invested in books. But hey, at 17 books or so a semester, it really adds up! Good news-- I can print this handy-dandy list of books & their prices for my renter's insurance policy. Very nice.

- I can create sub-categories of my books and assign labels such as Christian Living, Bibles, Biblical Language Helps, Fiction, Multicultural Studies, etc. This allows for easier browsing of my library. I mean, maybe even quicker than going to the actual shelf!

- If I loan out any of my books, all I have to do is find that book in my GuruLib library, and click "Lent out" and type in the name and information of the person I've lent the book to. This could be quite helpful, as I do often loan out books.

- The program itself is sort of a network. I can search through the libraries of other people in my area, and if they have a book I'd like to borrow, I can send them a message and ask to borrow it. I'm not sure I'll grant anyone else those borrowing privileges with my books, but we'll see. I mean, I loan books to friends. I'm just not too sure about strangers.

- I can "review" each book in my library, which can be seen by other users. If someone is curious about a book, they can type in a search for reviews of that particular title, and my review will show up. They can read my review and reviews by other users of this program, and decide whether or not they want to read or purchase the book.

- I can create a "wish list" of books I'd like to read/buy. I can also set a target price for those books of what I'm willing to spend on it. GuruLib will send me an email once that book falls below that target price.

This extends beyond books. You can do all of these same things with movies, music, games, and software.

I'm just getting started, so I'm sure I'll have more exciting discoveries (or complaints) about this program. So far I'm totally excited. If you'd like to check it out for yourself (Which I recommend!), click here .

1 comment:

jason said...

HOLY BUCKETS!! This program will change my life!!