Thursday, May 17, 2007

Try this on for size...

I am working today on my final exam for Church History-- 4 5-page essays. Here are the questions. If you have any insight, let me know. I'm not posting this to complain. I'm just sharing with you why my brain is so tired. Enjoy:

1. The concept of denomination developed as a distinctive concept of the church in North America, different from that of Europe. Explain the distinctive features of denominations, as compared with the pattern of Christianity in Europe and give examples of how the church/state pattern played out differently in each of the three sections of the British colonies in North America.

2. Compare and contrast the theological and historical features of the First and Second Great Awakenings, noting how Edwards and Finney influenced the direction of each Awakening.

3. How does the liberal theology of Friedrich Schleirmacher represent a response to the historical conditions and intellectual currents of his day, both in the church and in the larger society, and explain his position on the meaning of sin and salvation, in relation to the Person and work of Jesus Christ, which was developed in response to those conditions.

4. How does the evangelical or neo-orthodox theology of Karl Barth represent a response to the historical conditions of his day, and to the earlier liberal theology, both in the church and in the larger society, and explain his understanding of revelation, in relation to the human condition and salvation through Jesus Christ, which was developed in response to those conditions.

2 comments:

Scott & Carissa said...

I would just answer them each in a "true or false" format. :)

jason said...

ummmmm....I wish I had prepared some words....may God bless you.....and bless us all...