Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sabbath & Lights Out at 12

I thought of recapping the weekend for you. But then it made me tired just thinking about it. So I put this post on "hold" for a couple of days, and now I am back. It was wild. It was fun. But most of all, it was exhausting. And now it's Wednesday night, and I have finally mustered up the energy to write about my tales. Where does the time go, and HOW is it already March 7?

It was one of those weekends that went by in a blur. I'm not sure I have recovered yet. But here is my best attempt at a recap:

Thursday was a very big day. I had a big church history test to study for and a big church history paper to write (Could I use the word "big" just one more time in that sentence? Sorry). Somehow, on about 3 hours of sleep, I got it done and feel confident about my work. Here is where the fun REALLY begins...

Friday night. Versailles UMC Annual Children's Ministries Spring Party. The theme was "Let the Games Begin". We had 35 or 40 kids show up (which is quite a lot for our tiny little church). We had bowling, a hula hoop contest, bean bag toss, cake walk, Dance Dance Revolution, and all kinds of good things. We brought in a guest speaker: The Canine Christian Crusade. The star was Josiah the praying dog. I must say, it was interesting. Not great. Just interesting. It was one of those moments where I thought, "Just what are my kids learning here??" It was a little sketchy in the theology department. Not horrible. Just a different sort of presentation than I would have preferred.

When the party ended at 9:00, 6 of my 4th & 5th graders stayed for a lock-in. I generally hate lock-ins, but this one was pretty fun. Billy and I were the chaperones. Billy taught the kids the game Sardines, and we pretty much didn't have to entertain the kids for the rest of the night. They LOVED Sardines. They kept asking to play "one more round". Good times. We watched the movie "Flushed Away" (HILARIOUS!), ate some popcorn, and had "lights out" at 12. The kids did surprisingly well and went to sleep when they were asked.

The kids were picked up at 9 on Saturday morning, and Billy and I had to head to Lexington for something we had at 11:00. I then took a 3-hour nap and we went out with friends for dinner and shopping and hanging out.

Sunday. I woke up at 6:00 as usual, led Children's Worship for both services, then went to a brunch immediately following the 2nd service. I had to leave the brunch early to get to the nursing home, where my kids were singing as a part of a church service our church was leading. Immediately following that, I headed to the government housing community where we have our Kids Club ministry each week. I finally got home at 6:00 and met a friend here, who was hanging out while our husbands were having "guys night" at her and her husband's house. I was very grateful for the company and so enjoyed her being here. But after she left, it took about 10 minutes for me to fall asleep.

So after this wild weekend and a crazy start to the regular school/work week, I began to wonder what had happened to ever having a Sabbath day. A Sabbath day isn't something that is optional. God gave his people a Sabbath day for a reason. And then he commanded that we honor it. I thought about how I spend my days. Sunday is an all-day work day. Monday is an all-day work day. Tuesday is a class day AND work day. Wednesday is a 3-hour class and 9-hour work day. Thursday is an all-day class day. Friday is an all-day work day. And Saturday?? Well maybe that's a day off, but it's certainly not a day of rest. That is the day that Billy and I work all day around the house or buying groceries or doing all of the things that don't get done during the week. This never-ending routine is wearing on me, and I certainly don't do my best work out of my exhaustion.

Something must change. I have got to find a way to find Sabbath. I've got to find a way to honor God by honoring the Sabbath. I'm not sure how it will work, what it will look like, or what will be sacrificed, but something must change. My soul is weary.

And on that note, I will drift off into peaceful slumber. Until everything starts over again tomorrow.

Blessings,
Kelly

No comments: