Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Sad Day

I woke up early this morning. GRRR. Tuesdays and Thursdays are supposed to be my "sleep late" day (and when I say "late", I mean 7:45 a.m. so it's not like it's SUPER late!) because I do not have class until 9:30 a.m. But today, of course, I had to wake up early so I could be at the County Clerk's office when they opened. I was going to try to complete this whole car registration thing that I wrote about in yesterday's post.

So I woke up, went out in the rain and made it there. And I actually walked away this morning with a new Kentucky license plate for each of our cars. Hallelujah! It was sort of a sad moment for me, doing the official switch. I am now 100% an official resident of Kentucky. This was sort of the last thing I was holding on to. Oh well.

Here are some interesting facts about vehicle registration in the Bluegrass state:

* There is no annual state inspection requirement.
* There is no annual "registration fee". Ha ha. There is, however, ...
* A property tax paid annually by the owner of each vehicle. The amount of the property tax is determined by the age of the vehicle
* The property tax required for each vehicle is a ridiculous sum of money-- $350 or so for a 2007 model vehicle. Luckily, our cars are a 1999 model and a 2002 model.
* Only a rear license plate is required. They do not provide a license plate for the front of the vehicle. I actually got a ticket in Texas one time because I was driving without a front license plate.

I guess that about hits the high points. It's sad that this is what I am blogging about. I mean, I really don't have a life.

I did go to school today, which was fun. I also went to the afterschool program that I coordinate in Versailles, where I work. We had 3 new kids come today, which was very exciting! The kids were all great today-- they did their homework when they were supposed to and didn't complain when we told them it wasn't quite playtime yet.

And of COURSE I spent my evening watching American Idol with friends. I have never really been in to that show (the only season prior to this one I had seen was the very first year, the year of Kelly Clarkson), but our friends have somehow roped us into watching it. Of course, part of the reason we go is for the yummy snacks they always provide. :)

I am currently baking about 50 muffins (heart-shaped of course for Valentine's Day!) to take with me to class in the morning. I'm feeling festive and generous.

Blessings, my friends.

-Kelly

No comments: