Sunday, December 17, 2006

Weekend O' Fun!

Hello, all! Happy Sunday. A brief recap of the Lawson weekend:

Thursday I chopped off my hair! Okay, it's not terribly short, but it IS terribly fun! I haven't seen many of you in a long while, so you may not be aware that my hair had grown out quite a bit-- it was very long, and while it was fun, I am afraid that it made me look 16 years old. So... on Thursday I cut about 6 inches off, and my hair is now chin-length. I've been curling it, so it's wild and messy and cute, but today I wore it straight, which I was also pleased with.

Thursday night we, as previously stated, celebrated Cupcake Day, which was a huge success! And wasn't Thursday night's episode of The Office brilliant? I LOVE that show, and I just LOVED seeing Angela sing "Little Drummer Boy".

Friday I went to work for a bit, and then spent the afternoon at a friend's house making homemade Christmas candy. I have a fabulous pink apron, and I jump at any chance to wear it. I learned how to make the most incredible almond toffee I have ever eaten. In fact, if you are someone I get to see at Christmas, I will more than likely be sharing some of it with you! Get ready. It will change your life.

On Friday night, we were supposed to see Over The Rhine in concert-- sadly, Over the Rhine cancelled the show, but rescheduled for February. So..we stayed home and were asleep by 9:30! We're so lame sometimes. :)

Saturday morning we woke up and did Christmas shopping! Yes, the crowds were maddening, but this was the first chance I had really had to do any of my shopping, so I didn't really have a choice. Amazingly enough, we're pretty much finished, with the exception of 1 or 2 small things we still need to get.

Okay, Saturday night: fun. Billy volunteered to host Round 2 of Guys poker night here at the house, so the wives all decided to have a Girls Night Out together. We went to see the movie "The Holiday". It was pretty much your typical, predictable chick flick, but was at times, surprising and fun. Kate Winslett was great, as was Jude Law and Jack Black. Cameron Diaz, on the other hand, was just Cameron Diaz. She's got to be one of the world's worst actresses! Anyway, there were some great moments in the film, but the best part was just being with friends. After the movie, we went to one of the girls' house for dessert and conversation. It was so refreshing to spend time with just girls for once. :)

I got home to discover that the poker game was still going strong-- so I went to bed, and left them to their fun. Billy did NOT win, but from what I understand, a good time was had by all.

Today was church. Children's worship was a lot of fun today. I LOVE my kids!! And they surprised me with a really wonderful Christmas gift today.

One of my favorite things about Sundays is Kids' Club. Kids' Club is a ministry we have in one of the government housing communities in Versailles (the town where our church is). We go to their community center every Sunday afternoon and have 'church'. Basically, it's like mini-Vacation Bible School every week. We have a bible story, craft, and snack every week. It's very fun and I am 100% in love with those kids. Well, today was our Christmas party, so we also invited all of the kids' families. We had pizza, played games, had drawings for prizes, and sent each child home with a Christmas gift. It's always just so much fun to spend time with the whole family-- today was a great day. We had 22 kids and their families show up-- which is phenomenal. On a weekly basis, we average about 15 kids, which is still pretty impressive for this small little neighborhood that is about 3 blocks in size. We were VERY excited to share the Christmas story with so many smiling faces today.

I got home tonight and Billy asked, "How does it feel to not have to do homework tonight?" Well, my friends. It feels GREAT!!!

Alright, I'm off to eat some Oreo Doublestuffs and watch some television. I haven't let my brain do absolutely nothing in a long while, and I must say that for this one evening, it sounds fantastic.

Much love to you all...
Kelly

kelly122@ilovejesus.net

1 comment:

Debby said...

I agree with you -- it's fun not to HAVE to do anything -- work, shopping, pay bills, clean house. That's just what I did today. Relaxation is very important. Laughing is important, too. I got to see two delightful two-year-olds, Kayla and Meredith, ham it up for Meemaw and Papa and their parents. Much fun was had by all. Family is great!