Thursday, December 7, 2006

Church History, Snow, & Handel's Messiah

Today has been a glorious day thus far. I am writing you from school, and will soon make my way home to do some reading for my upcoming Church History final. I'm not particularly looking forward to that-- these tests are killer, but I just have to make it to Monday and I am done with this class.

I sat in my 8:00 class this morning and was captivated by the lecture-- I usually am. I love my professor and I love the course material. My professor was mid-sentence when he said, "It's snowing outside!" This was very exciting news, for when snow falls here, it is unbelievably beautiful. My campus is rather traditional, and the sight of the red brick buildings against the white snow is breathtaking.

After class, I went to the library to study and then went on to Chapel. Today was the annual Messiah sing-along. Now, that may seem scary to you-- a bunch of unrehearsed students and choirs singing together selections from Handel's "Messiah". However, it was anything but frightening. It was beautiful, emotional, and magnificent. This is the 21st year of this tradition in our community. The trees and candles were lit in the chapel and the wreaths were hung. Tears streamed down my face as the choirs sang "For Unto Us a Child is Born". What a glorious season of Advent this has been thus far!

Following Chapel was the annual Christmas lunch for the Asbury community. I dined with friends as we heard live Christmas music by a jazz trio. What a fun day it has been so far.

I am rejoicing today in the Christmas season. May we all remember why we celebrate at this time-- the Messiah has come, born as a human baby, in him, redemption for all.

Blessings,
KL

2 comments:

Debby said...

I feel like I'm living your experience. I can picture the snow and hear the music. WHat a joy to have you and Billy in my life!
Debby

Kandice said...

Thanks for the update but I'm keeping tabs on how many times you use the word "thus"... don't overdo it friend. A good word is only good when it's underused. :)